Hours: 30 hours/week or Bank Hours
Reports to: Domestic Senior Supervisor/Senior Cook Supervisor
Salary: £9.68 per Hour
Location: The Somme Nursing Home, 121 Circular Road Belfast BT4 2NA
Contract Type: Permanent
Interview Date: Ongoing advised on receipt of application
Application pack available on request via firstname.lastname@example.org
- To assist in providing a clean, healthy, and hygienic environment for residents and staff that complies with Health & Safety and COSHH standards.
- Be responsible for ensuring the home looks, feels and smells nice for our residents as well as visitors to the home.
- To achieve a high standard of cleanliness in order to maintain a clean, pleasant and safe environment and to reduce the risk of infection
- Clean and conduct domestic duties as required by the work schedules produced by the Senior Domestic/Laundry/Kitchen Supervisor
- Organise day-to-day cleaning duties to best suit the needs of the home. This includes cleaning of beds, mopping, damp dusting, cleaning of internal glass, walls, vacuuming, scrubbing (manual & machine), steam cleaning and buffing
- Perform ‘deep’ and ‘special’ cleans in accordance with training given and method statements provided by Senior Supervisor
- Changing of curtains and cleaning of blinds
- Ensure that all bedrooms, bathrooms, and communal areas are properly cleaned and maintained throughout the building.
- Work as part of the Domestic/Laundry/Kitchen team and respond to requests from Nursing Staff, and Management team of the Home in relations to relation to work priorities, local protocols and procedures
- Adapt to unforeseen demands and tasks as appropriate to the environment and the grade
- Working in accordance with all COSHH, Health and Safety and Manual Handling Policies as issued by the Trust
- Be responsible for the overall cleanliness of the Home and ensure that the laundry of residents is to the highest standard, including well-presented ironed clothes and bedding. Ensure that residents’ laundry is collected and correctly labelled to minimise lost items of clothing. Work with the Homemakers to ensure the personal clothing of residents is put away in a neat and tidy manner
- Ensure that all cleaning and laundry equipment is correctly and appropriately used and kept in a safe condition. Report any defects to the Maintenance team. To comply with COSHH and Health & Safety regulations, ensuring the correct use of personal protective equipment and follow the proper use of colour code systems within the home
- As directed by Senior Domestic Supervisor to ensure that daily/weekly housekeeping tasks are completed as required and regular deep cleans are programmed to ensure the presentation of the Home is always at its best
- Be sensitive to the privacy and individual needs of the residents and ensure all necessary documentation is completed daily.
- Maintain standards of infection control within the laundry area and generally within the home and to assist residents to maintain their own infection control needs.
- Operate the washing machine/driers and other equipment to launder household clothes, linen and residents’ personal clothing. Work within HSAW guidelines in operating all cleaning machinery, whilst maintaining skills in their usage and safe storage Understand stock control and stock rotation and ensure ordering of agreed stock is completed within budget and in a timely manner.
- At all times maintain courtesy, respect and dignity to colleagues, residents and their visitors
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned from time to time by Senior Domestic Supervisor
Criteria / Person Specification
- Training will be provided
- An ability to undertake a full range of cleaning duties using electrical equipment
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- An ability to work unsupervised and on own initiative
- Must have a good command of written and spoken English and a valid work permit
- Ability to communicate with the elderly
- Ability to work set hours, flexible to meet the needs of the organization
- Good General Health (medically fit)
- The ability to treat people with dignity
- Good listening and observational skills
- Some awareness of the challenges faced by people who need care and support
- Number skills