Senior Catering Supervisor
Post: Senior Catering Supervisor
Hours: Full Time 32 hours/week
Reports to: Business Support Manager
Salary: £14.00 – £16.00 per Hour depending on qualification
Location: The Somme Nursing Home, 121 Circular Road Belfast BT4 2NA
Contract Type: Permanent
The Somme Nursing home is a charity providing treatment and quality care for service and ex-service persons since 1914. It is registered as a general category nursing home with the Regulation & Quality Improvement Authority. A home that is light and spacious with 50 ground-floor single en-suite beds. A home that is conveniently located on the Circular Road, a semi-rural setting off the Holywood Road, a quiet, leafy residential area creating an atmosphere of tranquillity.
Our Philosophy of Care incorporates the provision of a high quality care delivery to our residents, which is tailored to individual need and embraces the core values of the promotion of dignity, choice, and preservation of citizens’ rights, independence, self-determination and privacy.
We strive to create a homely environment, where love, compassion and understanding of the unique needs of the ex-service resident is paramount to our delivery of care. We encourage the involvement of both resident and the family to provide a holistically unique service in which residents’ needs are met.
Reports to: Business Support Manager (BSM)
- Cooking and Supervising Kitchen Staff
- Liaison with Staff
- Liaison with Suppliers Under the direction from BSM
Job Purpose: To assist with the provision of a high-quality great tasting food for our residents & staff.
- Operating a very busy kitchen in a care home setting
- Focusing on tasty, well balanced and nutritious meals with input from Nurse manager and the nursing team
- To follow menu plans agreed with the Nurse Manager
- Responsible for the preparation of the Menu plan with input from the Nursing Team
- Have a strong knowledge of textured diets
- Ensuring the foodservice achieves maximum efficiency, achieving a high standard of residents & staff satisfaction.
- Adhered to all HACCP, Food Safety, and Health & Safety Legislation requirements
- Working with the Business Support Manager to review menu costings and planning for seasonal business fluctuations
- Ensuring all bookwork is completed within agreed timescales and company requirements.
- Responsibility for all aspects of the service and team
- Implementing staff training as required per company procedures
- To take responsibility for the supervision of kitchen staff
- Working with the Activities Coordinator to review and plan for upcoming events
- Provide exceptional customer service to residents, their families & staff
- To maintain staff Performance Management process
- To ensure staff absences are recorded
- To liaise as appropriate regarding staff cover.
- To occasionally assist with special functions which may be outside of normal working hours.
- To ensure sound hygiene practices are in place and maintained Managing the compliment of staff and driving change through good practice and leadership.
- To ensure that health and safety regulations are observed in working practices.
- To handle issue and recording of catering supplies as required.
- To assist with the operation of control procedures as required.
- To hold, monthly team meetings
- To report immediately any accidents, fire, theft, loss, damage, or unfit food or other irregularities and take such action as may be appropriate or possible.
The duties above are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be required by the Business Support manager to carry out appropriate duties within the context of the job, skills and grade.
- To participate in the performance and development review process, taking personal responsibility for identification of learning, development and training opportunities in discussion with line manager.
- To comply with individual responsibilities, in accordance with the role, for health & safety in the workplace.
- To ensure that all duties and services provided are in accordance with the Home’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- The Governing Body is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our residents and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment.
- Excellent communication, organisational, and time management skills
- Ability to communicate fluently in English
- Previous experience working in a busy hospitality role
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, deal with issues as they arise, and contribute in all areas of service
- The ability to prioritise and have an eye for detail
- Promotes a harmonious working environment where all employees are treated with respect and dignity
- Ensures a safe environment is maintained in compliance with health, safety, fire, hygiene, and security standards
- Leading the team, you will operate a very busy kitchen, focusing on tasty, well balanced and nutritious meals.
- Developing the menu range and engaging with user groups on a regular basis.
- Experience in managing a high-volume kitchen; preparing hot and cold meals, snacks, bakery and sweets.
- Excellent communication, organisational, and time management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, deal with issues as they arise and contribute in all areas of managing a kitchen and providing great food service.
- Food Hygiene Level 3 qualified.
- Promote and contribute to a harmonious working environment where all employees are treated with respect and dignity.
- Ensure a safe environment is maintained in compliance with health, safety, fire, hygiene, and security legislation and company policies and procedures.
- Managing staff and driving change through good practice and leadership.
- Maintaining a hygienic and tidy environment; ensure tables, accompaniments and counters are kept clean and adequately supplied throughout the service period.
- Check deliveries and food temperatures, completing records, and operating the till as required.
- A close working relationship with the team is important to these roles. It is essential that you can work as part of a team, as well as on your own, and can communicate effectively at all levels.
- Previous experience working in a management role
- At least 3-year cooking experience
- The ability to prioritise and have an eye for detail
- Good communication skills – written and verbal
- The ability to demonstrate great teamwork skills
- Level 3 Food Hygiene Certificate
- Attention to detail in all aspects of the work.
- Leads by example and lives our values.
- Enthusiastic and passionate about our customer service and reputation.
- Self-motivated, working independently and on own initiative.
- Flexible with a positive, can-do attitude.
- The ability to treat people with dignity
- Good listening and observational skills
- Some awareness of the challenges faced by people who need care and support