On the outbreak of war in 1914 the Headquarters Council of the Ulster Volunteers Force offered its complete medical organisation to the War Office in the form of a fully equipped hospital for the treatment of sick and wounded soldiers. The offer was gratefully accepted and at the beginning of 1915 this establishment was formally opened by Lord and Lady Carson.
The original charity hospital and the other and smaller branch hospitals were originally financed by an appeal to the public but it was largely owing to the untiring efforts of the late Sir Robert M Liddell and the late Sir Dawson Bates, Bart, that the response was so great and to their guidance in later years that the existence of the present establishment is now due.
‘The staff in the Somme are so very good. They always keep us informed and our mother is very well cared for.’
Ruth’s mum Muriel, 94 is the widow of a merchant seaman.Ruth’s dad, served in the Merchant Navy in the Battle of the Atlantic. The Home now cares for mum Muriel